School Counseling Department
Phone Number: (865) 457-2611 Fax Number: (865) 463-1134
- We welcome our new counselors! Mrs. Meredith Brown and Mrs. Sarah Napier!
- This year, the counselors will coordinate 504 plans for their individual caseloads. We will no longer have just one 504 coordinator.
- Mrs. Merryman, GEAR UP coordinator, can help seniors with college needs, FAFSA filing and verification, and college visits. Contact her at 963-8467 or email email@example.com.
- Mrs. Merryman is also working closely with the 10th graders of CHS.
- All seniors need to apply for the TN Promise! www.tnpromise.org. This is a program that helps you go to college tuition free for the first two years.
- Seniors - it's never too early to begin to apply for college! Since our fall college fair was cancelled, please go on the college websites to apply or request information.
- ACT prep help is available! See Mrs. Karen Campbell to sign up for tutoring. See Mrs. Jenkins if you qualify for a fee waiver.
- We will be giving the ASVAB exam in November. Seniors: This is a great career assessment and can help you become a TN Ready graduate!
Several national scholarships are available....create an account at FastWeb (a free national scholarship search) or School Soup, Scholarships.com, College for TN, or Going Merry. Another great scholarship search site is from the National Chamber of Commerce.
Another good website for scholarship searches is Mometrix. Click here to learn more.
Student athletes who may be recruited to play at Division I or Division II colleges must apply online: Eligibility Center or NCAA or NAIA. Seniors should check the scholarship websites of all colleges and universities for which you've applied.
Nursing Scholarship - TN Elks Benevolent Trust. (Deadline: Jan. 15) Local, state and national winners chosen, based on desire, grades, financial need and volunteer services. Apply at www.tnelks.org. IMPT: Your application must be returned to the TN Elks Lodge nearest your home. (Oak Ridge?)
NOTE: Specific college/university scholarships can be found on their webpages. These are usually based on GPA and ACT scores. Let your counselors (or Mrs. Merryman) know if you need any help applying. The CHS local scholarships will open up in late January. More details to follow.
Sign up at www.actstudent.org
(Late Fee Required)
Sept. 12, 2020
Aug. 7, 2020
Aug. 21, 2020
Oct. 24, 2020
Sept. 20, 2020
Oct. 4, 2020
Dec. 12, 2020
Nov. 6, 2020
Nov. 20, 2020
Feb. 6, 2021
Jan. 8, 2021
Jan. 15, 2021
April 10, 2021
Mar. 5, 2021
Mar. 19, 2021
June 12, 2021
May 7, 2021
May 21, 2021
July 17, 2021
June 11, 2021
June 25, 2021
ACT Cost: $55.00
ACT plus Writing cost: $70
ACT late fee: add $35
See Mrs. Jenkins to see if you are eligible for an ACT fee waiver
NOTE: If you meet the ACT Benchmarks below, you will graduate with honors and be in the "Elite 100."
You will also be considered a TN Ready Graduate if you score a 21 or higher!
Check college websites for special visit days.
Drivers Permit Form Information
Sign-ups and Pick-ups: Students (not parents) are required to sign up for a Drivers Permit or Drivers Reinstatement Form. Students can sign up before school, in between classes, during lunch and after school. Students can return in 2 days to pick up the form during the same allotted times. The permit form expires in 30 days.
Eligibility: Students must be passing 3 out of 4 of their classes on the last nine week grading period and on their Semester 2 and Semester 4 report cards. Students must also have no more than 10 consecutive unexcused absences or 15 total unexcused absences in a single semester.
Formula for Determining Valedictorian and Salutatorian
This is to inform you of a revision to the class ranking policy #4.602 made by the Anderson County School Board on May 12, 2011.
For the class of 2012 and beyond, the formula for determining the class rank of our top students with cumulative unweighted GPAs of 3.8-4.0 at the end of the 7th semester will be calculated as follows:
GPA=9 x 35% + strength of schedule points x 35% + highest ACT composite score x 30%.
NOTE: This ranking policy will only be in place for two more years.