• How AWARE Works....

    How can I access AWARE Anderson County resources for my child?
    Each school in the Anderson County School System has a school counselor or team of counselors that have been trained to assist our students and their families. Contact your school counselor if you have concerns about your child. A list of school counselors by school is under the Getting Help tab on the AWARE menu of this website.

    What additional professional services are available to help my child?
    AWARE Anderson County has contracted with Cherokee Health System to provide professional, confidential mental health services for students and their families. Your child's school counselor can make a referral to Cherokee Health System to get additional support.

    Where do the sessions with Cherokee Health System counselors take place?
    Counselors from Cherokee Health System come to your child's school to provide support at an appointed time scheduled with you. You do not have to take your child out of school for an appointment. We bring the needed resource to you and your child with a minimal impact on their school day routine.

    What about my child's privacy?
    All services and resources made available through AWARE Anderson County are private and confidential. The Anderson County School System and contracted service providers will honor your child's privacy guaranteed under FERPA (Federal Educational Rights and Privacy Act) and HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act).

    Do I have to pay for services?
    Cherokee Health System handles all payer source issues and any questions from parents or guardians regarding billing or mental health care provided by Cherokee Health staff. Any services provided by your child's school counselor will be at no charge.