Statistics you might want to know about teen mental health...
• 1 in 5 youth age 13-18 experiences a severe mental health disorder at some point during their lifetime.
• 70% of youth in juvenile justice systems have at least one mental health condition.
• Just over half of children age 8-15 received mental health services in 2014.
• Suicide is the 3rd leading cause of death for people age 10-24. It is the 2nd leading cause of death for those age 15-24.
• More than 90% of youth who die by suicide had a mental health condition.
• One-half of all chronic mental illness begins by age 14. There are often long gaps, sometimes decades, between when the first symptoms appear and a person gets help.
What about mental health in adults...
• Approximately 1 in 5 adults experience mental illness in a given year.
• Among the 20.2 million adults who experienced a substance use disorder, over 50% had a co-occurring mental illness.
• Adults with serious mental illness die on average 25 years younger than others, largely due to treatable medical conditions.